Monday, November 26, 2012

Guilt Trip Calculator - For the Self Motivator in All of Us

Ok, this is totally lame, but I put massive guilt trips on myself for not achieving what I think I need to be achieving. If I was in an interview, I guess I would say I'm a self-motivator. So, when I came down with something recently that absolutely took the stuffing out of me, the time out was mostly spent feeling crap about myself. You know that feeling of guilt for calling in sick, and then feeling even guiltier for not doing a single thing the whole day? Not even a load of washing! It's not very useful thinking for getting better.

Apparently people should write what you want to read, and right then I just really wanted to read something telling me I wasn't lazy - I was sick!

So, on the other side of it all, with far more energy and less guilt - I have written the Guilt Trip Calculator.

From being totally at blame, to no blame at all, I chose four states of inaction.

Lazy: "the quality of being unwilling to work or use energy"
Demotivated: "less eager to work or study"
Run-down: "tired and somewhat unwell, especially through overwork"
Fatigued: "extreme tiredness, typically resulting from mental or physical exertion or illness"

And made a flow chart out of it - because that's what process crazy gals like me do for fun when they get home from a big night that included far too much red bull (no joke, this is a product from 4am).


(click to enlarge)

It's all a bit of silliness - but underneath there is something that all of us self motivators need to remind ourselves to do. Maybe it's just me? Ok, I'll talk to myself then: Guilt is a really crap way to get better.

Be kind to yourself, and eat some green veggies. Your mum would have wanted it that way.


Cheers,
Sarah

Btw, if you're wondering how I can be employed in HR, and write about HR - here's my explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...