Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Some Free Advice From My HR Lecturer

"If you want a friend at work, get a dog."

It's great to be told by a university professor that your profession will be hated. It was one of the most honest things I was ever told as I prepared to enter this career.

And on particularly shitty days, the words still ring in my ears - "if you want a friend at work, get a dog."

After a couple of years, I truly believe that HR isn't the job to have if you need to be liked. And it's certainly not the job to have if you fulfill your social needs through work. HR is for people to arrive at work, do a job, leave and live their life.

For free advice, it was actually pretty accurate.

Cheers,
Sarah

Btw, if you're wondering how I can be employed in HR, and write about HR - here's my explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...